Sunday, March 17, 2013

ActRazer - The Classics (2012)


Due to my unceasing search for music for the dark disco night I'm curating, I've discovered there's dance music out there that I don't absolutely hate.  I've always enjoyed IDM groups and glitch music but that stuff is impossible to dance to.  Lo and behold, I discovered that there are techno artists making throwback retro music.  Always arriving late to the party, it seems that this style has already come into popularity and is already derided by critics as being a bygone fad.  Fuck the critics and fuck the party.

What I also like about this band is that the name is obviously a play on the classic Super Nintendo game ActRaiser. The game had a strong religious subtext and is seen as an allegory for Christian monotheism. 

The Classics

1 Thief 5:22
2 We Own The Night 4:09
3 Drift 4:28
4 Kill Switch 5:53
5 ReBuilt 2:08
6 Undead 3:25
7 Afterlife 3:46
8 Resurrected Streets 6:04
9 HeatSeeker 4:48

 d = \frac{a}{\pi} \sqrt{(n^2 + nm + m^2)}.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps a fair addition to your disco night: Maserati's "San Tropea". A few other tracks from the same album might appeal as well, though the band leans more to psych/post-rock sounds normally. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0JwbNo1g4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks, actually digging the band in general.

      Delete
    2. I ended up using the song Abracadabracab. "San Tropea" is a good track as well but it has a long intro but a slightly more retro feel. I love how the title Abracadabracab is a combination wordplay of "abracadabra" and "a.c.a.b.". Very smart.

      Delete
    3. Sweet! Glad to help out. Yeah, "Abracadabracab" certainly falls under a retro sound. Here I was pronouncing it like abracadabra + cab, as in a magical taxi.

      Delete